Tuesday, December 1, 2015

We are Christmas!!!

Several years ago on a train in Russia, three older ladies were in the compartments along the side of the wall near us.  My husband Tom helped them with getting their mattresses down from the storage racks so they could sleep through the night on the long ride.

One of the women told the other two to say 'zhank you, sir' and they each followed her example.

I spoke with them in Russian at first. Then she took the opportunity to practice her English... telling me it had been 20 years since she studied the language in University.

My favorite line from her was when she was witnessing to me. She told me that she and her companions were sisters and then clarified how they were sisters... meaning in Christ.

She proudly told me "We are Christmas!!!" then she thought for a second and asked if that was right. I told her the word was Christian. She gave me some literature and told me about the conference they had attended over the weekend.

I truly admired her boldness. She was intentional in her desire to share what she had experienced over the weekend. And she was brave enough to do it in a second language! What an encouragement and model of humility. Thinking back on that day now that advent has begun...I love how the words came out of her mouth. We should be Christmas. Not just one day a year. But, all year round. People should see us as warm, giving, inviting, and willing to share our experiences, strength, and hope with love and grace whenever and wherever God leads us.

Are you Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment