Sunday, June 25, 2017

10 Reasons I Sing

Why sing? As I was reading through the Psalms I noticed the phrase 'I will sing.' As I compiled a list of verses that stood out for me they provoked me to ponder the words of an old song, “I sing because I’m happy and I sing because I’m free. His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.” I love to sing whether anyone else hears me or not, whether anyone chooses to sing along or not, I sing when I'm sad, I sing when I feel overjoyed.



And though I have many reasons to sing
they all basically fall into three categories;
to respond to God,
to recall what He has done,
and to reflect His glory.


Here are 10 reasons why I will sing His praises until my final breath:

  1. Psalm 7:17    To praise Him because He is just
  2. Psalm 9:2       To praise Him for filling me with joy
  3. Psalm 13:6     To praise Him for His goodness
  4. Psalm 40:3     To praise Him with new songs
  5. Psalm 57:9     To praise Him for His forgiveness
  6. Psalm 59:16   To praise Him for His power
  7. Psalm 59:16   To praise Him for His unfailing love
  8. Psalm 69:30   To praise His name
  9. Psalm 75:9     To praise Him for His actions
 10. Psalm 104:33 To praise Him for life





There are some songs that I sing during quiet times alone with God. Just as I pray in the spirit, I also have times when I sing in the spirit. With candles lit and just the voice I cry out to Him in song.





As I lift my voice in praise I’m not worried about the notes, or what words may come. I simply repeat whatever I hear Him saying to me. Last week, after Tom had gone to bed. I got up because I couldn’t sleep. Whenever that happens I grab my bible, light some candles to avoid the harshness of the overhead lamp, and I pray. During the day I had been studying the name Yahweh. So I started reading through some of the verses I had studied earlier. I read Exodus 33:19 that God told Moses that He would pass in front of him and call out His own name.


This short video is the song that I heard God singing to me as I was seeking His face on that quiet dark night.
I'm in awe of how God chooses to reveal Himself to us. I love to sing and I love it when He writes the words of the songs. So for as long as I am alive, at all times, in every season and stage of life, God is worthy of praise, and I have a reason to sing.

Do you sing? I’d love to hear your reasons!



No comments:

Post a Comment